Monday, September 18, 2006

"Don't ask 'who will let me', ask 'who will stop me'." This can be applied in all sorts of good and evil ways, but pretty profound either way. For me, it meant temporarily piling some trash out back without asking anyone first. ;-) Don't worry, its gone now. I heard this quote from a friend yesterday, but apparently it was coined by philosopher and novelist Ayn Rand. I never heard of her until googling this quote today, but according to Wikipedia her ideas sound pretty fascinating.

2 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

I recently read one of her books, Philosophy: Who Needs It, and found it quite compelling. Still, she clearly comes off as rather full of herself, enough that it's somewhat aggravating. If you're interested in her, you should probably start with her fiction (which is her primary medium anyway). Anthem was quite good and very short, unlike her major works, and thus a non-intimidating place to begin. It's her only fiction that I've read, so I'm not pretending to be an expert. But at least you'd have a place to start.

September 18, 2006  
Blogger Paul Dame said...

Yes I read Anthem one afternoon and it was a very gripping commentary on the nature of love, and what that would look like in a society where communist goals are exectued seemlessly. It made me think, it made me weep, all in less that 200 pages - to me that's enough to make it worth reading.

December 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home