Saturday, July 08, 2006

Peter: "I'm trying to decide whether to fix my car and keep it, or trade it in."
David: "Does it have air conditioning?"
Peter: "Yeah"
David: "Does it work?"
Peter: "Yeah"
David: "Keep it"

I applied this simple but wise principle in deciding to repair The White Whale. Turns out the rear axle has been ready to fall off for the last few weeks, oops! The thought of retiring it crossed my mind when I found this out yesterday, but the fix is actually not too bad, so I'll be driving it a little while longer... but will be bicycling it for a few days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Dame said...

I feel like my grandparents own the only car with air conditioning I've ever been in here in Vermont.

July 08, 2006  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

Yeah, it does seem extravagant, doesn't it? This van is the first vehicle I've ever had with working A/C. I'm not sure I would have bothered fixing it except that a van full of people traveling at interstate speed with all the windows open is miserable, as I found out the hard way about 3 summers ago. Communication between occupants becomes nearly impossible. Plus, using A/C instead of open windows saves gas at speeds over 50 or so.

July 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home